Friday, November 9, 2018

NEW! - Racer Roller Coaster - Kennywood Park - Pittsburgh, PA

Racer - 16x34"

This has been a piece that I've been kicking around since mid-summer.  Wasn't sure whether I wanted to do something this big or not.  I have done two 18x24" pieces previously and though this one is 2 inches shorter in one way....it's also 10 inches longer.  It definitely one of the largest undertakings that I've taken since getting my Blick 999 press and this print is pretty close to my printing limits.

For those unfamiliar, the Racer is a 1927 dual "racing" roller coaster located at Kennywood Park, just outside Pittsburgh, PA.  There are two trains that are released at the same time and run practically side by side for most of the track.  At one point or another one of the trains takes the lead and whoever returns first to the platform...is obviously....the winner.  I've ridden this ride more times than I can honestly remember.  It's one of a couple iconic roller coasters that Kennywood has...the other two being the Jack Rabbit and the Thunderbolt.

The idea for a larger piece started this past summer when I delivered my Diner print to a show and the juror of the show commented that she thought that the print was going to be larger.  At the time I made the Diner print, it was not only the largest I had done at home, but it was also the maximum size that I could do at home and I was proud of it.  I drove home from the drop off that day thinking "I'll show you....I'll make something big....real big!!!!"  HAHA!

I just didn't know what.

I have reference photos of so many signs and even considered remaking one of my prints into a much bigger version, but also figured that wouldn't be much fun.  When I came across the Racer facade on a visit to Kennywood, it was lit just right by the sun so I took a pic and really didn't think too much about it.  I figured that I would make a print of it, but I wasn't really thinking about one this size.

#art #printmaking #linocut #reductionlinocut #signage #rollercoaster #racer #kennywood #pittsburgh #pa #printingprocess #biggestprojectever

No comments: