Wednesday, March 31, 2021

A new year...a new...wait....old...Cafe

Cafe - 2016

Oh dear....it's been quite a while since my last update.  I will say though that things got very busy over the holiday season and finishing up the Pluto's Toy piece (see last post) really took a lot out of me creatively.  

I have been slowly at work though on a couple projects.  I will try to highlight the stages of production for some of those each week.

My first post I suppose will start with this piece that I attempted back in 2016.  It is part of the sign for the Harley Davidson Las Vegas Cafe which is now closed.  I liked the Cafe part of this sign very much and I was still very "young" when it came to making prints at home rather than in a studio environment.  I was also painfully learning about the issues of different inks.  Three colors in and this 9x12" piece became my first major disaster (if I remember correctly).

So...fast forward 4 years and my desire to complete this piece properly came back to me.  I always had one of the failures hanging on the wall as a reminder of what could've been.

Cafe - 2020/2021

This lino block was started and carved back in late 2020.  The original was 9x12" and I decided to make my life easier with the smaller details by turning this one into a 12x16" piece.  Though I would love to work on smaller pieces, I find that pieces larger than 10x10" are more fun for me.

Part of my issue with the first attempt was that I printed grey first.  I learned very quickly that yellows or variations there of should always be printed first.  This image is a light yellow highlight on some of the neon tubing and then the second color a warm yellow which is the actual coloring of the tubing for this print.

Next step is a light grey for other areas of neon tubing.  This grey actually printed darker than I wanted, but I discovered a way of fixing that issue on another print that I was working on so my next color will actually become the highlighted area of the tubing.

As for now though...this is the current stage of the Cafe.  I'm currently in the process of carving out the neon tubing and will hopefully have an update on this piece in about a week or so.

#art #printmaking #linocut #reductionlinocut #cafe #neon #lasvegas #harleydavidson #printingprocess








 

No comments: