Saturday, May 26, 2018

Slow progress, but carvings galore -

Hi everyone!!  I've been making slow, but steady progress on multiple pieces and haven't actually done any printing in the past 2 weeks.  I've been spending a lot of time with the Ice Cream linocut that I restarted.  I had planned on printing one day and instead spent that time carving instead.

Here we go though.... 

Ice Cream - 20x16"

I've been working fairly slowly on the new Ice Cream piece and carefully carving away the areas within the text of Ice Cream.  I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but since I created my own shadows there is a lot of confusion as to what is what when looking at the piece.  There is the white (paper) area that I'm trying to carve, but also the cast shadow, the pinkish/red outline of the lettering and the cast shadow across it. 

Lots of lines and possible areas for mistakes so I keep the reference photo on my desktop and try to pay close attention to the where the pinkish/red and white meet and then figure out on the lino where the cast shadows are in relation to what I'm looking at.  I'm getting there though.

Flo's - 12x16"

I just recently finished carving this piece.  It is now ready for the next color, but it's going to probably wait until after the upcoming Memorial Day holiday.  Most of the time I usually have available during the night or week has been mostly taken up by overtime at my job.  This piece will be one of the first pieces I plan on printing once I get my chance.

 
Flamingo - 8x6"

It has taken me a couple weeks to make a decision on this piece.  Every couple days I've looked at the print and pondered what to do about adding another color.

I made up my decision this past Thursday and carved the block and now I'm ready for one more color.  This piece will also be one of the first blocks I attempt to print.  I have an upcoming deadline for an exhibition and I think that I would like to submit this piece to that show.

#art #printmaking #linocut #reductionlinocut #flamingo #flos #icecream #neon #lightandshadow #printingprocess

No comments: