Monday, June 8, 2015

Amur Tiger Test Print - Work In Progress

I just recently finished a quick 4x6 linocut of an Amur Tiger.  I see it as a piece that continues to need some work.  Below are some images of it's Work In Progress.  The photo reference was taken by myself during my last visit to the zoo.

Photo Reference - Amur Tiger (Pittsburgh Zoo)

Traced photo reference onto acetate and then traced that again using a 4B pencil onto standard printer paper.


Final 4B drawn image

I then run the 4B drawn image and the lino block through an etching press to transfer the image.  I then trace the whole image with a Sharpie Marker.

Carving away the very tiny details.  I do believe that this should've been done on a much larger block with a much larger image.  The carving took 4 hours due to the amount of tiny detail.

Test Print - Not sure I'm all that fond of how busy it is underneath the head.  It was my first attempt at adding shadow via hatching on a linocut.  I will probably take some time to see about alterations to reduce how busy that area is.

No comments: