Saturday, December 16, 2017

"a", "Green Street", "Taco" and "Zion" mini



Even though my up dates are a little slower these days, I still manage to work out a couple prints a week.  Granted this process all takes place within 5-6 hours on a single day, but.....it's at least progress towards their end points.  I suppose one update every other week isn't too bad though. =D
 
As shown above though, I printed the second color to the "a" print.  The first color, a light grey was for the shadows on the neon tubing.  This second color, medium grey, is another shadow layer for this piece.  I have this piece marked for 6 colors and I'm 1/3 of the way through.  I'm currently in the progress of marking all the areas that will need carved before printing the next layer.


I'm trying a new "high tech" registration method using a pieces of matboard.  The taco print is actually the first to test this configuration on.  So far though, I've also used it on the "a" and the Green Street print and so far so good.

 

Taco is a little different than what I'm used to printing where the tubing is generally clear or has a light color to it.  With "taco" the tubing is green...as are the letters.  The shadow and the hardware for the neon tubing support are the current grey colors.  Most of this block has already been carved for the next color, but I do have some smaller areas to clean up before moving onto the next color.


Green Street is also coming along very nicely so far with the new registration.  I usually don't ink small areas, I've done it on multiple pieces, but I generally like to see the print completely transform from layer to layer.  There is so much little detail in this piece though that I've decided to focus on one house at a time.

 


First up is the yellow house on the street.  I first printed a light yellow and then a second darker yellow (created with a mix of red and blue that I also mixed up).  I find it odd that the color I mixed almost matches up with a Yellow Ochre I made with a different yellow and Sepia.....I don't know how that works, apparently their are some similar colors in the Sepia mix.

This piece is actually working out pretty good and I've begun the carving of the yellow house.  The blue house is probably next, but I'm also considering the sky since it is actually the next lightest color.  There will be reflection of the sky in some of the windows so I'll have to figure out which way I want to go before I move on.


Finally for this update is the piece that I did not get to work on this past week.  I have one color left to print on this piece and then it's done.  Very excited about this, too bad I just didn't have the time for it.  A dark green, which is the shadow color for the foliage, is the only color that is left to print.  This piece is slightly mis-registered, but overall I like how it has turned out so far.

This little print will be one of my submissions for next years mini-print exhibition in New York.  I will also be starting a couple newer mini-prints so that I have a variety to work with. 

This is so far my first successful landscape.  I know that it's small sized help me to better understand how to create these and hoping to make some larger pieces that turn out just as well if not better.  I always keep in mind that with every piece I make I'm learning something new and in that learning I'll be able to better each attempt.

#art #printmaking #linocut #reductionlinocut #reliefprint #print #a #neon #sign #neonsign #landscape #Utah #Zion #NPS #GreenStreet #mystreet #houses #lightandshadow #yellow #Greensburg #PA #taco #djstacobar #lasvegas #nv 



No comments: