Friday, December 1, 2017

Lots of new projects happenin'!



Welcome back everyone....this actually includes myself too.  The US holiday time is a pretty busy time at my full time job and I've been working quite a bit.  Through all the extra work I have managed to slowly create some new work and make progress on some other pieces.

First up is my new version of the Green Street print.  I got to print the first color, a light grey last week and I'm in the process of carving those areas area.  This block, much like it's predecessor, has a good deal of detail in it.  In the image above you can see pink marks that I've made that help me to identify what is getting carved away.  These areas are mostly very small sections and require a good bit of concentration so that I don't over carve an area or accidentally slip and cause this piece to become yet another victim of mistakes.

 

Here are images of the inked block and the first printed color.  I've really wanted to make some type of artwork of this scene for such a long time.  Most of the houses along this street are fairly similar and the house colors don't vary too much.  These particular houses though are all different - the first in white, the second is blue, the third is yellow and the final one is a red brick building.  The color difference and the way that the shadows fall during late afternoon create a wonderful composition of shape and color.



Next up is the "a" print that I started a month or two ago.  The top image is a previously shown image of this piece, but I figured I'd use it as a reference for the printed image below it.  I'm trying a lot of fairly new knowledge that I picked up while my wife and I were on vacation.  I've spent a good bit of time since returning studying actual images of neon as well as artworks from Dave Lefner, Randy Ford and Robert Cottingham.

Needless to say, I'm not the first to go after this subject matter.  Many artists have focused on the way that light affects their surroundings and I am completely in love with that concept.


Finally, the inked block for the 3x3" mini reduction print of an area of Zion National Park in Utah.  This piece, to me, is taking longer than it should now.  I'm now two colors away from completion and of course I've started focusing on the carving of these other blocks.  I'm noticing a trend with me where as I close in on the end of a project I pick up others and start to ignore the one that is almost complete.....I do plan on having this piece done before Christmas hits.

I did notice a little bit of movement in the registration of the piece which may be another reason for my pushing it off.  I know that the errors are there and don't want to add to them, but the only way to finish is to add the next layer of color - green.

#art #printmaking #linocut #linoprint #reductionlinocut #printingprocess #GreenSt #A #Zion #landscape #neon #houses #Greensburg #PA #LasVegas #NV #ZionNationalPark #UT


No comments: