Saturday, April 14, 2018

Do Flamingos drink Coke? - updates


 
Flamingo - 8x6" - 7 color reduction

So since my last post, I've actually managed to print 2 colors for the neon Flamingo.  I printed a grey for the shadows cast by parts of the Flamingo.  I don't appear to have any photos on my computer of that stage (they are probably still on my phone) so I'm going to just continue with the 3rd color.

The third color was a light pink which is mostly a background color.  I printed two pieces before deciding that I wasn't that crazy with how the color was working out.  The pink I had mixed just seemed way too light so I added some additional red into it and made a much nicer value.


This is both colors set side by side.  I printed the rest of the edition and then once I finished I went back and reprinted the first two pieces that were with the lighter color.  I like how this piece is turning out so far.  The colors are so far pretty good and I have already mixed up the next pink...it's sort of a mid-pink...darker than the image on the right, but not to dark.  It's hard to explain, so I guess we'll just have to wait until the next update.  I was hoping to print it today, but it's still very tacky to the touch so hopefully next week.

Flo's  - 12x16 - 9 color reduction linocut

Flo's is moving along pretty well.  I've printed the two pinkish layers in that upper left corner of the block.  That area is a "V8" logo that is at the center of the structure.  Both pinks printed very rapidly since it was such a small area.



I needed to find the second pink color and needed it to pop against the initial light pink.  In the past, I've created a second color only to find that it didn't really contrast well with the initial piece.  I'm very happy with the color and I'm really excited about the next color...problem is...the ink is still tacky and now I must wait.

 
Coca-Cola - 3x3" - 5 color reduction linocut

I've made pretty good progress on the Coca-Cola since it's last update.  I printed the initial light grey which doubles for the background color as well as the shadowed area of the logo on the bottle cap.  I've made this an edition of 20 so far.  I don't usually make an edition of this size as I find it...unexciting...to print the same image over and over and over.  I like to print a couple of one image and then move onto another piece.  At 3x3" though, I figured it would create a good number of prints that I could submit to various shows all at once.

 

Just today I printed the second color for the bottle cap.  Just a straight red which is also the red highlight of the bottle cap.  All other reds used will now be shadow colors.  I'm very happy so far with the registration as well.  It doesn't look very exciting at the moment, but I'm hoping with the next red it'll really create some depth to the image.

I've also torn the paper for the 16x20" Ice Cream print that my wife has been wanting.  I'm excited to get it started and afraid at the same time.  There are quite a few colors to this piece and I just have this fear of messing it up somewhere along the line.  Hopefully I won't and I'll be thrilled with it, but of course for right now...it's a lot of what ifs.

Have some errands to run so I'll update everyone hopefully next week.

#art #printmaking #linocut #reductionlinocut #flamingo #neon #Flos #Disney #LasVegas #lightandshadow #CocaCola #bottlecap #red #pink #printingprocess




No comments: