Thursday, April 5, 2018

Pixar and soda (pop) based inspirations

 
Flo's - 12x16" - 9 Color Reduction Linocut

I've begun working on a couple of the newer pieces that i have been planning.  First up is "Flo's", it is based on a location in the Disney/Pixar film Cars.

Disney has always been a major inspiration for myself.  During high school the only thing that I wanted to do was become a Disney animator.  I did pursue that dream and attended college for animation.  Though the dream of animating for Disney never came true, I did get to work freelance in animation for a small studio located just outside of Pittsburgh, PA and I did get to see my work on a big screen (okay, so it was a scoreboard at PNC Park (home to the Pirates), but it was still a big screen).

During our last anniversary trip, my wife and I traveled to California and spent the first couple days at both Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure.  If you have not had the chance to visit California Adventure, I do recommend giving a shot at some point.  Cars Land is a section of the park completely devoted to the movie Cars and is practically a perfect recreation of Radiator Springs from the movie....neon and all.  Both my wife and I became quite enamored with the place that we visited 3 times over our last 2 days at Disney.

My piece, "Flo's", is based on a photo that I took of part of the signage for the fictional gas station.

(Inked block - Color #1 - Light Grey)

 
(Left: Color Proof - Right: Printed Light Grey Layer)

 
Coca-Cola - 3x3" - 5 Color Reduction Linocut

I've also started another mini print of a Mexican Coca Cola bottlecap.  Coca-Cola recently released Georgia Peach and California Raspberry flavored glass bottled Cokes.  After trying them both I wound up sitting on the couch with my wife for a while.  When I went to throw the bottles and caps away, I noticed that the light from the lamp created all types of highlights and shadows across the bottle cap.  Needless to say...it stopped me and though the original intention was to do the Georgia Peach cap, I decided instead on a traditional Mexican Coke cap.

I would like to do a larger scale piece, but really want to do a test piece first so I've chosen to do a mini-print of it first.  Depending on the outcome of this piece may lead to larger 8x8 or 10x10" pieces.

(Paper "white" areas carved away and prepared for printing of first color)

Lastly....

YMCA - 4x12" - 5 Color Reduction Linocut

This is a piece that I've fiddled with since I first started doing linocut.  It's based off of a location on Pittsburgh's North Side.  I've struggled doing this piece ever since and I don't understand why...it's a simple 5 color piece.  The "M" was recently the subject of one of my mini-prints.  This piece isn't overly large and part of me would really like to do it as a large scale piece...say 9x20" or 10x22".  Since I have the Flo's and another 16x20 piece currently in my pipeline, I'll hold off for the time being and just complete this smaller version.

That's all for this update.  I should have some new printed pieces by the end of today and tomorrow.

#art #printmaking #linocut #reductionlinocut #printingprocesses #lightandshadow #neon #bottlecap #disney #pixar #animation #flos #carsland #californiaadventure #ymca #cocacola #coke




No comments: