Thursday, April 26, 2018

Everybody loves Ice Cream...right?

Ice Cream - 16x20 - 13/14 color reduction linocut
Edition of: 8 + 1 AP

So I've been slowly working on this Ice Cream print for over a month now.  It's one that was basically created because my wife wanted one....well over a year ago.  This neon sign is courtesy of Disney's California Adventure (Paradise Pier) and was the first major Ice Cream based neon sign that I had seen that really screamed to turn it into a linoleum print.

After coming home and looking at it closer, I realized that there were more colors in the image than I had originally thought.  I had originally figured 8-9 colors, which has become my happy medium for printing and instead discovered 13.  Ouch.  I don't want to skimp on the colors though so that what I'm gonna shoot for and pray to the printmaking Gods for sharp registration.


Like most of my pieces, I start with the light grey which is almost always the shadow on the neon tubing.  The image above is that first printed color.  I'm excited for this piece and I have a lot more confidence in registration than I've had....probably ever.

Flo's - 12x16" - 9 Color reduction linocut
Edition of: 7 + 1 AP

I printed the fourth color to the Cars Land/Cars Flo's V8 Cafe.  The latest color is a light turquoise color.  I had some difficulty mixing this color for some reason....actually....I used too much white which really gave me problems when I went to turn it into the color I wanted.

I'm very happy with the color that I did come up with though.  The next color will be straight turquoise and that will be followed up with a darker version.  I'm about half way through this one and very happy with it so far.


I'm definitely having to take longer to ink the block for these larger pieces.  The first couple of these I pulled did not have a nice even color so I had to reprint them at the end.  I can't apply the ink heavily so these thin layers of ink take considerable time and if I remember correctly, I'm up to about 5-6 minutes worth of inking before I can print the block.

Well I'll have to chat with you all later...I have some things that I have to do today.  Hopefully I can finish carving the Ice Cream block soon so I can print it this coming Saturday.  Have a nice day everyone and I'll update you later.

#art #printmaking #linocut #reductionlinocut #neon #printingprocess #icecream #flos #disney #pixar #disneyland #californiaadventure


No comments: