Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Diner Green!


So I printed my Diner Green this past week and I'm really happy with how it turned out.  As soon as I finished printing and cleaning up I immediately started carving away the green areas because I now only have 4 colors left to print and I'm getting excited.  Next up will be the sky blue and I'll follow that with a dark green, dark blue and finally black.

I'll be honest, I was having doubts about this piece after having the registration not work out so well during my last printing, but I'm back on track with it...just a few less well registered ones than I would've liked.


I've also started yet another piece and with this one I'm going to try a new registration technique that I read about.  This is a 7x12" piece that I'm just going to title "Green Street".  Its a shot that I took off of my front porch and up the road from me.

I'm a large fan of urban-ish plein air paintings and have wanted to try one as a reduction print.  I love the way that those artists are able to capture the falling light and shadows and this will be my first attempt at that kind of subject matter.  It has so far proven to be more difficult than I was thinking.  I keep wondering if I should've gone larger, but this piece of linoleum was a left over and I wanted to use it for something.

I had read about linocut artists mounting their linoleum on boards and then taping down their registration pins to that same board.  It is generally supposed to offer perfect registration....soooooo....I'm going to give it a shot.  I bought permanent double sided carpet tape and attached it to a piece of chipboard and then placed the lino piece down over top of it and pressed it firmly onto the tape.  My piece of lino is now permanently attached to the chipboard.

Hopefully I really like how this works.  I bought 10 very large sheets of chipboard and it would be unfortunate if I didn't want to use them.  The piece of chipboard is about 10x16.  I was hoping that be keeping it smaller I'd have an easier time carving the lino.  I tend to flip my lino in every conceivable direction while carving.

I'm going to be able to work this coming Thursday on these pieces so hopefully I'll have a quicker update than I've been having.  I've kind of hit a spell of creating new pieces, but not getting anywhere with the ones that are already ready to proceed with.  Soon enough I'll have more work than I ever wanted.

#art #printmaking #linocut #reductionlinocut #Diner #neon #sign #Somerset #PA #GreenStreet #Greensburg #pleinair #houses


No comments: