Thursday, April 13, 2017

Printing has commenced!!



I've been a little quiet lately as the Easter holiday has ramped up at work and I've had little time to spend printing and working on new works.  Fear not though!!  I've been taking pieces small enough to work and I've been carving them on breaks.  What I cannot take to work I do work on at home.

I have multiple projects that are currently using similar colors and was looking for a day to print each one.  This past Thursday (now almost a week ago) I got to print two of the four projects that I have started.

The La Rose Shop was the first to be printed and used a majority of the light grey ink that I mixed up.  I knew it would take a lot of it as the print is 9x20".  The light grey is the shadow area of the neon tubing and also doubles as the mortar between the bricks on the sun highlighted side of the building.  I'm expecting that this print will top out somewhere around 8-9 colors.  I should be printing the color very soon...possibly even in the morning tomorrow.


I've also started a series of 3x3" prints which I plan to submit to an exhibition.  I've never worked this small and the carving is already giving me new challenges.  The very first color for this neon "M" lino is the same grey as used on the La Rose Shop above.  The entire block was inked as this color will be used for the background of the sign.  I've been carefully carving away the sections and will print a slightly darker grey for the neon tubing color and then yet another for the shadow on the tubing.  I'm thinking that this print should top out at around 6-7 colors, but I'm honestly leaning more towards the 6.

Anyhow, I promise to try and update sooner than I did this past time.  Talk to you all soon.

#art #printmaking #linocut #reductionlinocut #neon #LaRoseShop #Greensburg #PA #swpa #sign #M #YMCA #Pittsburgh


No comments: