Monday, February 29, 2016

Testing....testing....1...2....3


As I start to get closer to the really dark colors on my Heinz lino I'm starting to be concerned with the transparency of the reds that I have.  I currently have 3 different reds and I'm considering buying a 4th.

I have a Speedball oil-based red, Gamblin Relief Napthol and Quinacridone Reds as well.  I'm considering a Daniel Smith red to go along with these, but I want to see what happens first.

I created this piece above with some greys that I've recently used and a total black.  These strips are about 8 inches long and my next step will be to ink up the same strips of lino and place them over top of these ones perpendicular so that I can see how each color affects the color of the red due to transparency.

I wasn't sure how I was going to handle this problem when I started this piece and then noticed while watching a video of a printmaker that he printed red over top of black and it appeared to not change the color of the red what so ever.  I have never tested any of the colors that I currently have, but have had experiences in the past where an underlying layer altered the red color that I was using.  The printmaker in the video was using a Daniel Smith red so when in doubt I may just need to buy one of those to get what I want, but we'll see.  These strips are almost dry so hopefully by Wednesday or Thursday I'll be able to print my red strips on top of this.

Other than that....just carving.  I appear to be closing in on being ready to print the next Heinz color and I'm slowly working on the FU lino as well.

No comments: