Saturday, September 17, 2016

Hi-Land Dodge - 1st color carved


 

Though I was planning on printing the first color of the Diner print yesterday it didn't actually work out for me.  I wound up spending a good amount of time going over the Hi-Land Dodge identifying the color separations.

I used the green for the light grey and the blue for the medium grey.  Everything is black will be printed in either a very dark grey or black - I haven't decided on that yet, but I've found I'm not overly fond of straight black.

I had no intention of carving this piece, but figured I'd just do a little.  I got a little excited I guess and would up finishing the carving for the paper white.  I'm going to spend some time going back over it though so that I can double check that I did not miss anything.  I probably should've identified all the white areas with a color as well, but I didn't.  I left so much of the image the original battleship grey of the lino that it didn't really occur to me until I was already well into carving.



I'm going to need to prepare some paper and I want to give the entire block a wipe down with mineral spirits before printing.  I don't want any of the marker transferring to the paper and since my first color is marked in green there is a good chance of transfer.  Maybe next time I'll choose to mark the white of the paper, and each color from #2 onward and leave the first printed color un-markered.

Printing should occur for this as well as the Diner print sometime this week.  Though I will say that I'm rather nervous about altering the printing height of the press to print two different types of lino (mounted & unmounted).  My press does not have fantastic measurements and I hate changing where I have things set.

#art #printmaking #linocut #reductionlinocut #Sharpie #Dodge #ZionNationalPark #TradingPost #ZionParkRV


No comments: