Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Hi-Land Dodge update


Hi everyone!  Here is the most recent update for the Hi-Land Dodge linocut.  I've been a bit quiet on here for a couple days as I've been in contact with the ink brayer company about possible issues that have arisen while using their brayer.  They've been kind enough to offer to send me a new brayer free of charge since mine is only a couple months old.

I have been working though on some things including preparing my printing bed for the Diner print as well as inking the transferred drawing of the Hi-Land Dodge.  For the first time ever I'm using multiple colors to help me identify which areas are to be carved at certain points.  I also hoping that this will cut down on missed carvings.  I bought green, blue and violet ultra-fine point Sharpies to use for this process.  Sharpies really seem to hold up well to the cleaning of the block multiple times.

 

Here are two images of the transfer process.  The left shows the traced drawing taped onto the lino block and placed inside the registration jig and I've laid a piece of plexi-glass on top of it.  I then place a printmaking blanket on top of the that and push it through the press.  The image on the right is what the block looks like after the previous step is complete.  The graphite has transferred over to the block and in this case...it is very faint.

I have to be very careful when I start to ink the block that I do not allow my hand to lay on any part of the transferred image otherwise it'll rub right off and I'll have to try and make things up as I go.  In the main image of this post you can see that I've worked a lot of the right edge as well as the top.  The sky area of this image allowed me a nice place to rest my hand.  I do put down a piece of tracing paper to prevent my skin oils from getting on the block.

Getting ready to go on a short vacation to visit some new cities that my wife and I have never been to.  I've scoped out some hopefully cool neon signs in these areas that I can hopefully use for future projects.

#art #printmaking #linocut #reductionlinocut #Dodge #Hi-Land #ZionNationalPark #ZionParkRV #UT-9



No comments: