Thursday, June 7, 2012

Medium:  Col-Erase Pencil    Size: 5x6

This was an image made from the corner of Sarah St and 24th St in Pittsburgh, PA.  I was waiting for my fiance to come out from her pottery class/workshop and had about 15-20 minutes to wait.  I pulled out my sketch book and drew the empty corner lot and the 2 building next to it.  I also like the way the pole with the power lines broke up my view and decided to include it as well.

I've been drawn to urban landscapes over the past couple years and I'm constantly searching for new artists who use towns and cities as their subject matter.  I think Ed Hopper and John Sloan were probably the first two artists that really made me appreciate the way that light and shadow can be depicted across a structural surface.  Other favorites include Christopher Greco, Ron Donoughe and Ray DeFazio (the last 2 being artists local to the Pittsburgh area.)

I'm also sometimes leary of drawing these types of landscapes because of all the verticals, horizontals and diagonals.  After years of going to school for animation and working a couple years in that field as a freelancer, I now find that the Col-Erase pencils easily takes away all my worries when working.  I used these eraseable color pencils all through animation school and I now find myself using them whenever working with subject matter that I'm uncomfortable with, but they really do let me drop my inhibitions and just go for it.

No comments: