Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Medium: Acrylic Paint, White Gesso on Kraft Paper   Size: 4ft x 5ft

This is an abstract piece that I did during an painting workshop.  The concept was to just try things that we had not done before.  It took me a couple minutes to try and figure out what I was going to do and was struggling when I decided to just dip my hand in the gesso.  As the gesso dried on the paper, I used tubes of paint to color in the negative spaces left between the handprints.  I held the tubes of acrylic paint as if they were a writing utensil and lightly squeezed as I drew and colored in the areas.  (That action was inspired by some of the artwork that Jackson Pollock created that pre-drip painting.)

Only one handprint is completely outlined and I'm still not sure that I'm happy with doing that, but I also think it was the starting point for color on this piece.

No comments: