Tuesday, June 19, 2012


Medium: Blue Col-Erase Pencil / Colored Pencil    Size: 8.5x11 white paper (x2)

This is a screen printing project that I've started working on dealing with Pop Art and since I'm from Pittsburgh...it's Pop....not Soda.  Haha.  Though Andy Warhol is the big Pop Art name in Pittsburgh and I draw a lot of inspiration from some of his works, these pieces are actually inspired by another contemporary local Pop artist named Burton Morris. 

Like most Pop artists, he takes popular everyday items and turns them into art.  His art though is fairly cartoony and is usually built three dimensionally so that it actually POPs out at you.

These two pages show how I work when developing a piece of art.  I came up with the drawing for the (soda) pop can and then I constantly rework it over and over and over, or until I come with a final design that I really like.  This type of process can take quite a while to finish since I'm still altering the design even after I think I'm happy with it.  I just want to make sure that I'm leaving no stones unturned.

No comments: