Saturday, July 23, 2016

Diner Reduction Linocut - update!


 
Diner - 10 Color Reduction Linocut - 10 x 22"

I discovered yesterday that the pressure gauges on my press were way off (the only downfall of the Blick 906 press that I use).  I reset them and now I'm happy to say that everything now matches up and I will hopefully have less issues with pressure that I had on the "FU" print.

After fixing my press though, I decided to run my traced "Diner" through and transfer the design to the lino the I bought.  I did something that I'm completely not used to doing - I transferred the design, and then I completely traced the entire piece in Sharpie marker.  I was only going to do the top and the "D" to see how things were working out.  I then decided to do the "I"....a part of the "N" was sticking into part of the "I" so I did it as well.  I then did some of the smaller areas (easy parts) along the edges so I wouldn't be able to smudge them while it waited for me to complete the tracing later.  That turned into me totally completing the piece.....first time ever.  I think the entire process took somewhere around 3 hours.

It's now ready for me to carve it and begin printing.  I am going to hold off a little while though as I've purchased some registration pins and want to use them on this piece.  This lino, unlike what I normally use is not mounted onto a wood base so my normal way of registration will not work with this piece.  I ordered the Ternes Burton registration pins this morning so I'm excited to get to use them.

Diner - 10 Color Reduction Linocut - 10 x 22" (Detail)

This was supposed to be the stopping point.  Oh well....at least it's done.

#art #printmaking #linocut #reductionlinocut #neon #diner #summitdiner #somerset #pennsylvania


No comments: