Monday, May 9, 2016

Looking back - 1st actual linocut - 4x5 Zebra


So as I am currently waiting for ink to dry and working on cropping photos for new projects I decided to post this old photo of my first ever actual linocut that I made on linoleum.  I had seen a similar image of a zebra somewhere and figured the best way to learn the carving process would be to find a simple black and white image.

I went through all of my photos from the zoos that I've visited and found an appropriate image from a couple years back from the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium of one of their old zebras.  I took the image into a photo editor and cropped it to look like the image I had seen.  What I did forget to do was flip the image...so when it's now printed it's in reverse of the original.  I really think that this was a good starting point, but it was going to be almost 2-3 years later when I would actually get deep into linocut and reduction prints.

#art #printmaking #linocut #zebra #wildlife #PittsburghZoo #zooforall #zebralinocut #justgettingstarted

No comments: